Being a constructor nowadays is a lot easier than it used to be a few decades ago. People used to do themath on paper, the old-school way, they used to draw sketches of the thing they were going to build, and all the measurements were done by hand, with a simple tape measure. But today, if you need a sketch there is a computer software that will do it for you. Math is a forgotten science among constructors. There are programs and calculators. And if you want to measure a particular space, you don’t even have to move because there are laser measures.
Progress is always incredible, and it should always be encouraged. If there is an easier way to something, then, by all means, people should take it. After all, isn’t this the whole purpose of technology? To make our lives easier?
What is a laser measure and how does it work?
A laser measure is an electronic device that uses laser technology to measure the distance between two points without mechanical contact.All you have to do is place the device in one location, determine the end point, and then shoot. You will have your measurements at a push of a button. It’s easier, it takes less time than a conventional tape measure, you don’t have to move, and your measurements will not get more accurate than this. It’s a simple, but brilliant piece of technology.
The benefits of a laser measure over a traditional tape
The tape measure was useful at its time, there is no doubt about it, but like most items, in time, it became obsolete. New technology managed to replace almost every single item in this world, either with a new item or with an improved version of the old one. It’s the same with laser measure. It has replaced old tape measuresfor the benefit of a faster and more accurate measurement. So here is what laser technology brings to the table.
- It’s faster and easier to use than old-school tapes. You don’t have to walk the entire distance between point A and point B. You just place the device in point A and determine the end line. You don’t need somebody else to hold the tape at the other end. You also don’t need to stretch the tape in order to get accurate values. No matter how you look at it, it’s simple. Push the button, and the distance will appear on the screen.
- No need for conversions. All the best laser measures have already an integrated conversion calculator which will display the length in more than one unit of measurement. It comes in handy.
- Accuracy is another benefit of the laser. When you are doing a measurement with a tape, the margin of error is higher because the tape will not be completely stretched. It will be curved, and that curve will steal a few inches. But I guess you already know that.
- Laser measures also have other features that may come in handy at certain points. Things like area and volume calculation, continuous measuring, single and double indirect (Pythagoras theorem) will prove to be extremely useful. Instead of doing all these step-by-step, you can get the results all at once.
How to choose the best laser measure?
Searching for the best laser measure may prove to be more complicated than using it. Why? Because there are so many things you should consider before making a purchase. It all depends on certain factors, but basically, it comes down to what you need.
- Range – what are you planning to do with it? Are you a constructor who works with measurements on a daily basis or you need it for domestic use? The answer to this question will lead you to the laser measure you need. There is no point in spending money on a device that is designed to measure hundreds of yards when in fact, you need it for small projects. What would be the point?
- Precision and accuracy – laser measures are the most accurate means to get the length of a certain distance. Regular tapes will have a significant margin of error. At this point, it doesn’t matter if you are an architect, constructor, or an amateur. Accuracy is sought either way. You will not get a better accuracy than laser. The margin is 1/16 of an inch, but the best laser measures will only have 1/32 of an inch. You will never get this precision with an old-school tape measure.
- Features – there are the simple laser measures, the ones that measure the length and that is pretty much it. But then there are the models which have a significant number of functions, like area and volume, single and double indirect, continuous measurement (you take one shot, you move to another place, you take another shot; the device will show a total), multi-surface, and angle measuring. As you can see, length is not the only thing of interest. There are many aspects of measuring. These functions are very useful to a particular category of people, like architects, constructors, and appraisers.
- Battery life – as you can imagine, rechargeable batteries are what everyone is seeking. The age when you had to buy spare batteries is pretty much gone. Chargers and extended life batteries are the best choices. You wouldn’t want your battery to die in the middle of a measurement, would you? So go for a device that is perfect from this point of view. Do some research. There are thousands of people that purchased particular devices and then wrote about them.
- Accessories – it may not be such an important aspect, but it counts for something. Some models come with a holster or/and with a belt loop. They are useful. They can protect the device or help you carry them safely.
Once you have assessed these aspects, I think you are ready to make an informed decision. You should now be able to judge which product is worth its price and which is not.
Which are the best laser measures?
I know how difficult it can be to make the best choice, which is why I did most of the work for you. Here are few high rated products that might as well be exactly what you are looking for in a laser measure.
Bosch GLM 35 Laser Measure
Bosch has a long history in making high-quality tools of all kinds. From washing machines and dryers to cordless impact wrenches, Bosch has gained an extraordinary reputation, mostly because their tools are sturdy, resilient, and they last for many years. So why should a laser measure be any different?
This device is tiny but efficient. You can put it in your pocket with ease. Not only will it measure the length, but it has other features as well. It provides areas, distance, volume, continuous measurement, addition, and subtraction. It’s mostly everything you need in a measuring device. The accuracy is outstanding, with a margin of error of just 1/16 of an inch. If you have 20 inches, a tape, and a laser measure, the latter will be better. Even if it’s just 20 inches and you cannot even talk about a margin of error.
The display is simple, easy to understand, and it has a backlight in case you need to use it in dark conditions. Comes in handy in buildings where there is no electricity, or if you require getting stuff done after dark.
The Bosch laser measure can go as far as 120 feet. It’s pretty good, especially if you want to use it domestically. Also, if you are an architect who builds houses, no large constructions, this is the ideal measuring tool to keep in your pocket.
Given the fact that almost all countries in the world use the metric system, Bosch laser measure comes with an integrated converter. Or you can set it to measure directly in meters. Bosch could have added a better laser, though. If you are trying to do a measurement outside, on a sunny day, it might be difficult to see where you are aiming. Other than that, it does its job perfectly.
One frequent question about these lasers is if they include their length in the measurement. This answer applies to all such devices, it’s universal. So the answer is yes. All devices, including this one, takes into account its own length. You don’t have to add it to the result. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Tacklife Laser Tape Measure
This laser measure is suitable for people who need to measure longer distances. It has a range of 196 feet, which represents more than 3 times the conventional similar devices. A simple, household laser measure has a range of about 65 feet, but this model belongs to another league, obviously.
This too provides multiple functions such as area, distance, length, volume, continuous measurement, addition, and subtraction, but also Pythagorean method-three points. Since it has this last feature, I believe this is likely the best laser measure for architects. Apparently, they prefer their laser measures to have as many functions as possible. As if that would be hard to figure out.
The feature that differentiates this model from the previous one is the waterproof and dustproof function. Honestly, I don’t get why such a device needs a waterproof function unless the person using it has to take some measurements in the rain. But nobody has ever complained about a device having too many features. The dustproof I understand. There is a lot of dust in construction, after all.
The one thing I am not crazy about is the fact that you need batteries, 2 AAA batteries. I would have preferred a rechargeable battery. In any case, the device can function on 2 batteries for approximately 5000 measurement times, which is not that bad. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Uni-T LD40 Digital Laser Measure
This model can be found in three versions, depending on their range. There is the 131 feet version, which is perfect for amateurs; then there is the second version which has a range of 196 feet. But there is also a third version with a range of 262 feet. Now the last one is perfect for all kinds of professionals. Measuring long distances has never been so easy.
It goes without saying that this unit can provide all kinds of measurements, from distance and length to Pythagorean measurements. As a matter of fact, this device has all the functions a laser measure could possibly have, except for the level function. It also converts or measures directly in the units you want or need. It has a memory that can support up to 30 measures, a data-clear function and a recall function.
The display is more than satisfactory. It is largeenough for anyone to see and it has a backlight if you have to operate it in low-light conditions. It will automatically shut down after 150 seconds if you are not using it. This feature is designed to save battery life. Given the fact that the device works on a single AAA battery, I would say that such a feature is more than welcome. It can also calibrate itself when needed.
I have one complaint, though, regarding this device. If you are used to operating laser measures, then this is ideal, but if you are a first time user, you are likely to have a hard time using the Uni-T. The instructions are not very clear, and you may confuse some functions at first. Other than that, the device does what is supposed to do in an accurate and precise manner. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I think it goes without saying that my favorite is the UNI-T, even if it comes with unclear instructions. It’s not like you cannot find them online. I suppose everyone who had an issue with this unit wrote something about it. Just check the reviews, and you will be fine. After all, the rest of the functions are more than you could ask for at this price. Are you willing to demote a great product just because of one harmless flaw? Click here to buy on Amazon
- Dirty Facts About Laser Measuring Tool Reviews Revealed
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Stanley Laser Measure
- What Everybody Dislikes About Bosch Measuring Tools and Why
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Laser Distance and What You Should Do Today
- Fraud, Deceptions, and Downright Lies About Electronic Measuring Device Exposed
- Life, Death, and Leica Disto
- Most Noticeable Laser Distance Meter
- Things You Should Know About Bosch Laser Measure
- Sensitive Info on Laser Measuring Tool That Only the Pros Know Exist
- Laser Distance Measurer Fundamentals Explained
- The Definitive Solution for Laser Tape Measure
- The Hidden Treasure of Laser Measure
- What Every Body Is Saying About Bosch Glm 50 C Is Wrong and Why
- Details of Best Laser Tape Measure
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Measuring Laser and How to Avoid It
- What Best Laser Distance Measurer Is – and What it Is Not
- The Hidden Treasure of Best Laser Measuring Tool
- Possible Danger Signs on Laser Distance Measurer Reviews You Must Know
- One Simple Trick for Laser Tape Measure Review Explained
- Short Article Reveals the Undeniable Facts About Laser Tape and How It Can Affect You
- Most Noticeable Dewalt Laser Measure
- The Recently Leaked Secret to Electric Tape Measure Discovered
- The Definitive Manual to Bosch Laser Distance Measurer
- Top Choices of Laser Distance Measure
- What You Have to Know About Laser Measure Reviews and Why
- The Number One Article on Laser Ruler
- The Undisputed Truth About Electronic Measuring Tape That the Experts Don’t Want You to Know
- The War Against Bosch Laser Tape Measure
- The Appeal of Distance Measure
- Classified Facts on Leica Laser Measure Only the Experts Know Exist
- How to Find Digital Tape Measure Online
- Electronic Tape Measure Reviews & Tips
- The True Story About Laser Measuring Device That the Experts Don’t Want You to Know
- Choosing Good Laser Meter
- Most Noticeable Digital Measuring Tape